Friday, 22 September, 2017

History

We want students to be intrigued, excited and involved in History.  We follow a chronological approach in the first three years in the Senior School, beginning with the Middle Ages and reaching the Second World War by the end of Year 9. We also aim to get out and about, bringing extra colour and lasting memories; to Norwich Castle, to London and to the battlefields of northern France, following in the footsteps of TGS Old Boys who fought at the Battle of the Somme.

“You’ve got to study history so that you can recognise all the **** in the newspapers.”   Alexei Sayle

 

Consider doing History GCSE if:

• You are intrigued by what people have done in the past, their motives and the consequences of their actions.
• You want to develop skills to look beyond the obvious, to analyse and to present a reasoned, supported argument.
• You want to gain a well-respected academic qualification.
• You are prepared to take an active part in a variety of classroom activities.
• You are not afraid of hard work!
• The idea of going to New York and Washington DC sounds very exciting.

History is a popular choice at GCSE and A level and GCSE and A level historians have ventured as far afield as Wales, London, Rome and the USA. Students regularly go on to top universities to study History.

The course is divided up into modules which support and complement each other. Many of the events we will be studying will have happened during your parents’ and grandparents’ lifetimes. They will be excellent resources!

Aspects of International Relations

The Cold War 1945– 75
• Who was to blame for the Cold War?
• Who won the Cuban Missile Crisis?
• Why did the USA lose in Vietnam?

British Depth Study

How far did British society change between1939 and the mid 1970s?
• Reasons for immigration.The experience of immigrants and attitudes towards them.
• The changing role of women.
• The lives of teenagers, protests, rock music, clothes and fashion.

Depth Study

A choice of:-
• Germany 1918-45
• Russia 1905-1941
• USA 1919-41
• End of Empire c1919-1969

Controlled Assessment

The USA 1945 –1975 A Land of Freedom?
• Why was there a Red Scare in the USA? McCarthyism and the fear of communism.
• The struggle for civil rights. Who did more, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, JFK, Johnson or the Black Power movement?
• The rights of American Women and of Native Americans.

There are two exams at the end of Year 11, worth 75% of your overall GCSE grade and controlled assessment accounts for the remaining 25%.

In Year 12 we will be studying two units at AS level.

British History Enquiries
The Normans in England 1066 – 1100 (50%) This is a sources based unit where we will be studying documents from this fascinating period of English History

European and World Period Studies
Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 1919-63 (50%) In this unit we will be looking in depth at a pivotal period of European History. Essay writing will be particularly important for success in this unit.

In Year 13, two further units are studied at A2 level.

Historical Interpretations and Investigations
This is a Coursework unit, assessed by two 2000 word pieces of writing. One focuses on different interpretations and debates about the reign of Elizabeth I. The second is a personal investigation either about Elizabeth or a topic of your own choice (40% of A2).

Themes in History
Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1980 (60% of A2). This course which is examined at the end of Year 13 looks at the breadth of American History over a 135 years. Your ability to make connections and look at how and why things changed over that period will be important.

© All rights reserved. Thetford Grammar School
Powered by: miuk